Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting Started

10/3/2007

I have been asked to start writing down some of the day to day happenings in the Pennington household. I swear that my life is better than a soap opera! I spend several minutes each morning updating a friend of mine on what Lane did the night before...she laughs all morning, so it must be good stuff. Actually, writing it all down is somewhat cathartic!

I went into work early today so I could earn some credit time. Barry is having sinus surgery in 2 weeks and I need all the leave I can get. I got to work at 7:15, leaving Barry, Lane, and Dixie in the bed, asleep. I called Barry at 7:25 to make sure he found the clothes I had laid out for Lane. He proceeded to tell me about his morning up to that point… Dixie decided to have runny poop in the hall (ever seen how much an adult Lab can poop?). He cleaned it the "best" he could and put carpet foam on it (should I mention that he scooped it up with the dust pan, put it in an empty pizza box, and tossed it off the porch!). He then got in the shower and mid way through, heard little feet coming down the hall – Lane found the poop! They both got back in the shower. As Barry was getting dressed, Lane found an almost empty bag of Turtle Chex Mix. He dumped that on the floor. Barry cleaned that up and started dressing Lane. I use the term “dressing” very loosely – it’s almost like wrestling a greased pig/octopus into a wet bathing suit. He paused long enough to locate Lane’s shoes and that was enough time for Lane to find a bag of tortilla chip crumbs and scatter the floor again. Barry said that mess was waiting on me once I got home. I then got reprimanded for leaving food where Lane can reach it (I guess I will start tossing it on the roof – the kid’s got a reach like Inspector Gadget).

Barry finally got Lane to school, where he had tons’o’fun painting his clothes & a pumpkin picture and playing with dolls all day. I picked Lane up around 5:15 and we went to Sylacauga to buy something for him to wear for Picture Day tomorrow. Found nothing. We took him to Quizno’s because he was screaming “I wanna EAT EAT!!!!”. We knew there was no way he would wait until we got home and actually cooked dinner. He devoured a kid’s ham and cheese sandwich! The child did want to “EAT EAT”. He fell asleep on the way home, so Barry and I drove around the metropolis of Childersburg to make sure he was “good and asleep”. Didn’t work…the minute we pulled into the driveway, he was wide awake. It was only 8:00, so we knew we were in for a long night. Much to our surprise, however, Lane demanded to “go night night” and went to the bedroom. We played in the bed, cuddling, tickling, etc. to wear him down. He said his “payers” and made sure to say an extra prayer for Poppie. Too darn sweet!

No comments: